[X4U] Powerbook <> Macbook

Peter van Peursem pvp.61 at mac.com
Tue Jul 31 04:38:16 PDT 2007

Op 30-jul-2007, om 17:21 heeft Paul Moortgat het volgende geschreven:

> A friend with a Powerbook wanted to copy pictures he took to a
> Macbook via firewire.  When the Macbook was started with "T" he
> could not see the Macbook on his Powerbook.
> When he reversed it and started his Powerbook with "T" the icon
> appeared on the Macbook.  Both have the latest OS.
> Why is it only in one way?

Intel based Macs have a different partition scheme from PowerPC based
systems. You can see this in Disk Utility under the Partition tab.
Hit the Options button and a sheet drops down with the different
options. GUID, Apple-partition & MBR are the choices which translates
to bootdisk for Intel, bootdisk for PowerPC, bootdisk for MS-DOS.
Maybe the Powerbook sees the GUID partition on the MacBook and
doesn't know what to do with it.
I have a vague recollection that initially Intel disks were not
visible to PowerPC Macs, but it seems to me that this should be fixed
by now.

--
Peter van Peursem
pvp.61 at mac.com