[X4U] AppleTalk with Airport

Ralph ralph at avatarbiz.com
Mon Jul 30 16:41:41 PDT 2007

Our shop uses several macs on an Airport network for printing to
laser printers and internet access. All are running up-to-date OS X
and working splendidly.

On two recent occasions I've tried to set up Intel PowerBooks to
print using our Airport for wireless access. Both times, though I
turned AppleTalk on for Airport in the Network Prefs and the machine
was seeing the Internet, it could *not* see our laser printers in
Printer Setup Utility. When I plugged each directly into our Ethernet
router and switched AppleTalk to the Ethernet port, the printers
showed up. But nothing I did would make them appear when using Airport.

Wassup? And how do I fix it?

Ralph Jones
Avatar Community Business Center
Fairfax, California