[X4U] Indexing CDs & DVDs

Mark Des Cotes lists at marksmandesign.ca
Tue Jun 19 10:17:42 PDT 2007

On 19-Jun-07, at 12:35 PM, Doug McNutt wrote:

> At 09:57 -0400 6/19/07, Mark Des Cotes wrote:
>> I've been given a spool of aprox 75 mixed CDs and DVDs. I need to
>> somehow create a searchable index of their contents to make it
>> easier  to find the files they contain. Any recommendations of a
>> good app for  this?
>
> In OS-8 and 9 or so it was possible to ask Sherlock to perform a
> content indexing operation on a CD-ROM. If you were writing CD's is
> was also possible to place the content index file on the CD itself.
>
> I have not been able to put an index on a CD-ROM in OS 10.3.9 and I
> can't use 10.4 but Spotlight ought to be worth a try. I think all
> OS neXt content indexing expects to put index data on the boot drive.
>
> If it's just "content" of the disks as file names and perhaps sizes
> try
>
> man ls
>
> in Terminal.app.
>
> Oh - Do you mean music and television disks? If so nevermind. I
> initially thought "spool" was a type of file too.
> --

I mean spool as in the plastic tray with the spike that the CDs come
on. The disks are all data files. Quark Xpress, Photoshop, MS Word,
PDF, etc. I just want to index the file names, not the content of the
individual files. I need to be able to search for something like
"Acme" and know what CD or DVD contains files or folders with the
word Acme in them. A graphic designer I know just retired and I've
taken over her clients. She dropped off the disks of all the files
for all her clients. Unfortunately the disks are not divided by
clients but by the dates she burnt them. There could be files from
the same client on on 10, 20, or more disks. I'd like to insert a
disk and index it as "disk 1" then insert another and index it as
"disk 2". At the end I want to be able to search the index for files
and find what disk or disks they are on.

I'm not that familiar with Terminal (it intimidates me a bit) but
with good instructions I would give it a try.

Mark Des Cotes
Owner-Graphic Designer
Marksman Design

Mailing adress: