[X4U] Remove icon in Taskbar

Dennis Thompson II dlthompsonii at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 11:44:38 PST 2007

Mr. Moortgat, you are to be congratulated.  I also have the misfortune of
dealing with Windows, both within my own house and without.  Eventually my
wife will switch but convincing her to spend over $3k USD on a machine that
will do what we both want is not likely to happen soon.  For now I'll just
soldier on with my iBook G4 and fix her Win XP box when it hiccups. . .until
the hardware fails or I can talk her into some form of Linux.

What your neighbor is seeing is probably part of the Windows automatic
update feature/bug built into XP and also Vista in some form or other.  Mine
just launches when I click on it, installs whatever it has downloaded, and
usually asks me to reboot.  There will be no Vista in my house.  As noted
above PC's will run linux in my house as soon as my wife relents.  I prefer
a happy house over something as friggin' insignificant as a disagreement
over software and hardware.

Mr. Hargreaves,

Your response and attitude are precisely why I no longer attend local MUG
meetings or hang out with the local 'in' Mac crowd.  If we don't work with
and help our less fortunate neighbors who still labor under the yoke of MS
oppression they will never see the light, so to speak.

I always have my iBook with me when I help PC users and they are generally
impressed by the hardware and software.  Most of them balk at the price of
Apple units until I remind them that my iBook is almost four years old and
still does everything I ask of it with grace and aplomb if not as much speed
as a new MacBook or MB Pro would.  My daughter is still using a G3 iMac
233.  Wer'e not sure what flavor it started as but it is now a
Bondi/Blueberry mix of parts.  All that is beside the point, what matters is
that it works, slowly but well.  How many PC owners can say that about their
4 year old laptop or desktop?

Perhaps we could consider a new list for issues like Paul's and, inevitably,
any one else who tries to use MS operating systems on their Mac.  That would
keep this one clear for OS X issues only.  That should help keep everyone
happy.

It is unwise to hold those at arm's length that you would have join the
faithful.  This is as true in computers as it is in religion or politics.

Thank you and have a good day,

D. 'Sky' T.