[X4U] Vista Home Basic With Parallels

Tim Collier timjcollier at mac.com
Wed May 2 18:10:22 PDT 2007

You need to look into something like Wine then.  This add-on allows
you to run Windows based apps without actually having to run
Windows.  I really found running Windows under Parallels 'wanting'.
Now running Windows with Bootcamp runs great.  Try doing a bit more
searching research on the web.  You'll find that there are a lot of
other options other than Parallels.
But, what I did say at the end, I meant with all sincerity, sometimes
just getting an actual PC is the perfect solution (But Never Get Rid
of Your Mac!!)  The prices for a PC are CHEAP and most (if not all
now) will come pre-loaded with Vista.  Have you looked at the price
of an eMachine?  Another thing to remember though, is that sharing
files between a Mac and PC (despite what Microsoft says, or Apple) is
not simple.  With all the crappy AV software you have to run on the
PC, it's practically impossible to do.  I do speak from experience
here.  My wife has a laptop PC (now running Vista Business Edition)
and since it's protected by Norton, you can't even get past the
stupid thing.  The only way we've successfully shared files is by
burning a CD.
OK, I didn't mean for this reply to go on so long, but another
example:  I have Vista Home Ultimate on the Mac Pro with McAffee AV
running on it and IT can't even network with the one running Norton.
It's been years since I seriously used a PC but how the average PC
user shares files is beyond this simple Mac user.
Mac networking is easy, PC networking is not....or at least not to me.
Finally, I just mention this to illustrate my point above, before I
switched over to the Mac, I was MCSE certified, but I haven't kept up
with anything since 2000, so too much has changed.  I'll stick to a
Mac, thank you.

Tim