[X4U] Wireless Cable Modem

Linda XPressoBean at mac.com
Fri May 4 06:37:52 PDT 2007

On 5/4/07 12:36 AM, Da Pen wrote:

> What are thoughts about the best Cable modem/router
> wireless for our beloved Macs and an errant PC?  We
> just had Charter Cable hi-speed turned up and now we
> need a Mac friendly all-in-one wireless cable modem
> gateway.  It must also serve a PC well.

We had Charter Pipeline high-speed cable for five or six years. We always
used the wired modem they supplied -- always some version of a Motorola
Surfboard -- and used a D-Link router with it. We've had the best luck with
a DI-624.

Twice during our tenure with Charter, the modem needed replacement to
function with an upgrade to services, and Charter did this both times at no
cost (because it was their modem). Modem rental was inexpensive -- $3/mo or
less -- and we figure we were $$ ahead by renting rather than buying 3
different modems (that said, modems are much less expensive now than they
were in Y2K, so it might not work out that way if we were just signing up
with them now).

peace,
Linda