[X4U] Wireless Cable Modem

Jens Selvig lstnmt at bresnan.net
Fri May 4 06:54:08 PDT 2007

I use a cable modem and then go to a Netgear wireless access router.
The Netgear is a 'G' speed but I'd suggest you get one of the newer
'N' versions. From the Netgear route I go to Netgear gigabit switches
for the wired part of my network. I have multiple Macs (10.4) and
windows machines (XP) on the network. All of the machines have
gigabit cards or came natively with gigbit service. Gigabit cards are
inexpensive, however you do need a fairly modern ie. fast, computer
to use them to their full potential. The speed bump from 100 to 1000
is noticeable.

I'd suggest renting the modem from your provider. I have had a couple
of replacements since switching to cable service due to modem failure
and changes in service.

Jens

Jens Selvig
...lost in Montana...