[X4U] Two Mac's

Randy B. Singer randy at macattorney.com
Sun May 6 22:56:21 PDT 2007

On May 6, 2007, at 6:32 PM, Zane H. Healy wrote:

> I'd not thought about file synchronization however, that would be
> the sort of thing I'd be interested in.

Check out:

Synchronize! X Plus $30
http://www.qdea.com/pages/pages-syncx/syncx1.html

SyncTogether $50
http://www.markspace.com/synctogether.php

Mac Sync (comes with Apple's .Mac service)
http://www.apple.com/dotmac/

There are two excellent ways (that is, easy and quick) to transfer
files between your laptop and your desktop.

The first is via FireWire target disk mode.  This allows you to
connect the two computers together with a FireWire cable and transfer
the files as if you were transfering from one drive to another
(simple drag and drop).  Zero configuration is required, and FireWire
is much faster than 10Base-T Ethernet.:

This cable will make the transfer a lot easier due to its length, and
it is reasonably priced compared to local conputer stores:
10-foot 6-pin to 6-pin FireWire cable for $4:
http://www.firefold.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=FW-66-10-BLK

The other way to transfer files between your laptop and your desktop
is via a pen (flash) drive.  Flash drives have more or less taken the
place of the floppy.  You can get a flash drive in a bunch of
different capacities, but I find that a 1GB flash drive is perfect
for transferring files.  You can get a 1GB flash drive quite cheaply
now.

Kingston DataTraveler 1GB Hi-Speed USB2.0 Flash Drive
Model DTI/1GB
ITEM CODE: 122-293-001

$12 with free shipping!

<http://meritline.stores.yahoo.net/kingston-datatraveler-1gb-flash-