[X4U] Two Mac's

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Sun May 6 18:32:31 PDT 2007

At 5:31 PM -0700 5/6/07, Daly Jessup wrote:
>At 4:46 PM -0700 5/6/07, Zane H. Healy wrote:
>>Due to a seriously unexpected bit of fortune, we now have a second
>>Mac.  Does anyone have any advice on using a laptop in conjunction
>>with a desktop?  I just turned "Personal File Sharing" on.  At this
>>point we expect the laptop will primarily be used for surfing the
>>net, email, and word processing.
>>
>>Looks like I'll be trying to get Sheepshaver running a couple
>>things a lot sooner than I expected. :^)
>
>What kind of advice about laptop and desktop? You mean about doing
>file sharing? Or screen sharing? Or synchronizing certain files? Or
>what sort of thing are you thinking of?  I think the advice would
>depend heavily on what you want the second computer for.  For
>instance, if it is to be used for email for a different user, you
>wouldn't be thinking of synchronizing between them. So... more
>details, please.

Part of the problem is I don't know what I mean! :^)  I've already
taken file sharing into account.  I'd not thought about file
synchronization however, that would be the sort of thing I'd be
interested in.

We expect my wife and oldest child to be the primary users, however,
I'm also interested in using it when I'm writing, as it would allow
me to sit someplace with more room, unlike this computer desk! :^)
At different times, either of them will still be using the G5 2x2.

My wife has already mentioned iTunes (I just turned on sharing for
our private network), and I assume she'll also want to access our
iPhoto library.  Actually it looks like iLife '06 supports sharing an
iPhoto library. :^)

Is there a way to synchronize email between two systems?  How about a
folder of files?

		Zane