[X4U] Beach Ball

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Mon May 7 13:04:06 PDT 2007

> I have a "dome base" iMac that's developed a bad case of beach balls.
> The cursor appears most often when I choose Print... from almost any
> application. It also often comes up when I choose File > Open... In
> addition, the machine seems sluggish generally. Here's the
> configuration:
>
> iMac G4 800 MHz
> 768 MB RAM (maxed out)
> 18.24 GB free on 60 GB hard drive
> OS X 10.4.9 with latest update
>
> Disk Utility sees no problems. Suggestions?
>
> Ralph Jones

How is the printer connected?

A couple possible problems come to mind, but will depend on the connection
method.  I'm going to assume it's a USB InkJet, if so try unplugging the USB
connection for the printer, if it's plugged into a USB Hub, unplug the hub
as well.

If it's a network printer, try unplugging the network from the Mac.

You might need to try deleting the printer information as well before trying
either one of these solutions.  In either case I'd try unplugging the
network connection on the Mac, as long as it isn't Wireless, if it is
wireless, turn off your wireless access point.

Basically my suggestions are based on the fact that a marginal device such
as a Hub or switch can cause strange problems.  Having said that, they're
likely worth just what you paid for them, still they're what I'd try next.

	Zane