[X4U] Problems with SSH and VNC

David Ledger dledger at ivdcs.demon.co.uk
Mon May 7 23:32:41 PDT 2007

>From: Lynch Andrew <atlynch at mac.com>
>I've disabled all the firewalls completely for testing.  I have
>checked Remote Login...
>>  On May 6, 2007, at 11:26 AM, Lynch Andrew wrote:
>>>    I cannot seem to VNC or ssh to my Intel Mac mini from my powerpc
>>>  macs.  This used to work.  I can ssh from the mini to itself, and
>>>  I can ssh from my G5 tower to my G4 laptop.  I can also run VNC
>>>  amongst the powerpc systems.  I started sshd -d on the min, and it
>>>  is not reporting any attempt to connect.  I disabled all
>>>  firewalls....

So:
ssh G5 -> G4 = yes
ssh G5 -> mini = no
ssh G4 -> G5 = no
ssh G4 -> mini = no
ssh mini -> G4 = no
ssh mini -> G5 = no

 From each of the hosts, in Terminal, telnet to each of the other
hosts with a 2nd argument of ssh (or 22).
     G5-prompt$ telnet G4-hostname ssh
     G5-prompt$ telnet mini-hostname ssh
     etc

For the first, because it works you should get something like:
     david at ivdg4:191: telnet ivdpb4 22
     Trying 192.168.0.7...
     Connected to ivdpb4.
     Escape character is '^]'.
     SSH-1.99-OpenSSH_3.8.1p1

     Protocol mismatch.
     Connection closed by foreign host.
You need to hit return where the blank line is.

If you don't get such a response in any test, investigate any common factor.

If the telnets all work, report back what the text of the response to
a failing ssh is.

David

--
David Ledger - Freelance Unix Sysadmin in the UK.
Chair of HPUX SysAdmin SIG of hpUG technical user group (www.hpug.org.uk)
david.ledger at ivdcs.co.uk
www.ivdcs.co.uk