[X4U] OT: NAS Slows to a Crawl

Neil lists at mac.com
Wed May 9 15:36:42 PDT 2007

I have a Buffalo Terrastation 2TB NAS RAID connected via SMB.  It
always feels slower than a NFS+ device connected via Firewire or
USB2, but this has gotten ridiculously slow recently.  Now, it takes
several minutes just to open a folder.  It takes several more minutes
just to move a group of files to another folder.   I tried
restarting.  That helped for a couple hours once, but not the last
time.  I just restarted and the first thing after restart I tried to
open a folder on the SMB share and it still hasn't opened in the time
it has taken me to launch mail and type this message.  Does anybody
have any ideas?

Neil
PowerMac G5/2x2, 1.5gigs RAM, Mac o/s 10.4.9
connected to the NAS via a TRENDnet gigabit switch