[X4U] Macbook Pro

Robert MacLeay robertmacleay at mac.com
Sat May 12 21:22:53 PDT 2007

On Sat, 12 May 2007 19:58:22 -0700, Philip J Robar <philip.robar at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On May 12, 2007, at 5:42 PM, Zane H. Healy wrote:
>> You've got that right. We just got my wife a Macbook, and maxed it
>> out at 2GB, while that's enough for 10.4.9, and the light usage it's
>> going to get, I'm a little concerned about even 10.5.
>
> I'm not. I'm willing to bet that most of that 2 GB is inactive or only
> being used for I/O buffering.

I cannot speak for  Zane Healy, but I have MenuMeters running in the Menu
Bar of my 2 GB Intel iMac, and with my typical applications running, my
combined Wired + Active memory runs between 1.2 and 1.6 GB. Truly "free"
memory is usually in the tens of MB.

> My poor little 12" 1.33 GHz G4 PB with 768 MB runs, umm, not optimized
> not 10.4.x just fine. With FireFox (3 windows, ~20 tabs), Mail,
> Azureus, iTunes, Terminal, Finder/OS X and all its deamons running I
> still have ~200 MB of inactive memory.

Um... Do you run any real applications?  I usually have InDesign, Photoshop,
Acrobat Pro, and Excel, plus the usual Finder, Entourage, AOL, Safari, iCab,
Firefox, Preview, TextEdit, and BBedit running. And Einstein at Home in the
background, but that's processor, not memory, intensive.

I switch between them often and rapidly, and am sensitive to having to wait.

>> My G5 2x2 needed more RAM with 3.5GB, though with the 5.5GB I just
>> went to it is feeling a lot better.

Compare! PPC vs. Intel memory demands are different.

> "feeling a lot better", uh which benchmark is that from?
>
> Yes, I'm being a smart-ass,

Been there, done that.