[X4U] Re: OS crawling through chores

James Hurley jhurley0305 at sbcglobal.net
Sun May 13 07:46:24 PDT 2007

> Message: 7
> Date: Sat, 12 May 2007 22:42:21 -0500
> From: Michael Elliott <michaelelliott at mac.com>
> Subject: Re: [X4U] Re: OS crawling through chores
> To: "A place to discuss Mac OS X for the casual user."
> 	<x4u at listserver.themacintoshguy.com>
>
> I'm assuming /Preferences and ~/Preferences.

Michael,

The two folder were:

User/[your name]/Library/Preferences
Macintosh HD/Library/Preferences

> But now I wonder if simply deleting some obvious preferences
> individually would have made a difference?  com.apple.finder.plist
> comes to mind.  Also, creating a new User account and seeing if the
> slowdowns/beachballs still occurred would have at least localized the
> problem to one folder or the other.

What we (Apple Care and I) did was to create a new account and
discovered that the problems disappeared. At this point I think I
would have  preferred to have followed your  suggestion and tried to
find the offending preferences.

Jim