[X4U] Setting up an old computer with OS X

Dan A Currie dancurr at frontiernet.net
Sun May 13 15:39:54 PDT 2007

Robert Ameeti wrote:

> I'm resurrecting an old Blue & White G3 computer and am wondering what
> are the items that others find it wise to do when configuring a new
> (old) computer from scratch.

I created a FrankenMac for my daughter using my old G3/333, now a G3/500.

> After downloading all the updates from Apple for the latest OS, I then
> downloaded Monolingual do remove the un-needed language resources and
> gained back some hard drive space.

I partitioned a 9 GBHD and put OS9 on the smaller and OS10.2 with the
combo upgrade to 10.2.8 on the larger.  Did not install most of the
extra languages and only the HP drivers.

> Then I downloaded AppleJack to assist me if it should not start up
> properly in the future.

I installed AJ and have used it once or twice.

> What other items should I add to have a clean, efficient working
> computer ignoring the obvious applications issues but not wanting to
> ignore important utilities that I would want to have pre-installed.

I have Safari 1.03 and Netscape 7.02 along with Appleworks 6.2 and Toast
6+ and iTunes 6+ and a Yamaha 8/2/24 CDRW.  It lets her surf with some
speed and she does all her reports and research on it and as she is into
music I gave her an iShuffle 512 that suits her rapidly changing tastes
... 14 year old!!!

> I am going to use this computer as a remote server so one of the apps
> that I will be loading is Timbuktu.

You do realize that you can put several HD's in the box. My old G3 has 2
and space for one more if I lose the ZIP.

HTH,

Dan Currie

A powersaw is NOT a manicure tool!!