[X4U] Finder locks up-help-

Eugene list-themacintoshguy at fsck.net
Mon May 21 03:01:43 PDT 2007

On Sat, May 19, 2007 at 03:06:51PM CDT, Robert A. (Bob) Hall <rahall at ptd.net> wrote:
:  At 8:59 AM -0400 5/19/07, Wayne Clodfelter wrote:
: > Robert A. (Bob) Hall wrote:
: >>
: >> I have strange condition that I have not seen before. I now cannot open my
: >> Documents folder by clicking on the Document Icon (folder title
: >> "Documents"), while I can get to the files in the folder by clicking the
: >> arrow in front of "Documents" in my home folder. When I click on the
: >> folder title "Documents" I get a spinning wheel and the finder locks up.
: >> Force Quitting restarts the Finder restoring all operations except opening
: >> the Documents folder.
: >
: > Have you tried duplicating the Documents folder and trying to open that
: > one? If that works, then delete the old one after verifying it holds
: > everything in the original (no. files, size, etc). Be sure you rename the
: > copy to the original name after verifying it is complete and opens
: > properly.
:
:  Thank you Wayne, your suggestion worked in that least it led to  the
:  solution. Simply duplicating the Document folder failed. I then created a
:  new "temp" folder in my home folder and opened it in one finder window. In a
:  second finder window I opened the user my home folder. I clicked the
:  triangle on the defective Document folder to drop down the files. I selected
:  all the files and dragged and dropped all the files into the empty "Temp"
:  folder in the first finder window and confirmed the it could be opened in
:  the finder and trashed the defective Documents folder. I renamed the "Temp"
:  folder to Documents and drug it into the home folder. All then worked
:  perfectly.

Maybe it was a corrupted hidden file, e.g. ".DS_Store" or ".localized".

--
Eugene
http://www.coxar.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/