[X4U] Annoying popup links in Mail & Safari

John Baltutis baltwo at san.rr.com
Mon May 28 11:50:11 PDT 2007

On 05/26/07, Eddie Hargreaves <meged at earthlink.net> wrote:
> On 5/26/07 12:18 PM, John Baltutis <baltwo at san.rr.com> wrote:
>>
>> Sorry for not being clear enough. AFAICT, the default tooltips setting in
>> Safari is ON even if you don't get anything back for
>>WebKitShowsURLsInToolTips
>> in the plist. On my machine w/10.4.9, the tooltips are active in Safari even
>> though there's no entry for WebKitShowsURLsInToolTips in the plist. Simple
>> test is to quit Safari, move the current plist to the Desktop, relaunch
>> Safari, and see if the tooltips work.
>
> Sorry to disagree, but the tooltips do not show for me even after using the
> default Safari plist. I left the cursor hovered over links for 30+ seconds
> and not once did I see a tooltip. Safari Version 2.0.4 (419.3)

Then, Daly Jessup chimed in iwith:

> Okay, I tried this. I quit Safari, moved its prefs to the Desktop,
> and relaunched it. I got no tooltips. I quit Safari again and ran:
> defaults write com.apple.Safari WebKitShowsURLsInToolTips 1
> in Terminal.  Started Safari, and had tooltips.
> I looked for tooltips in Safari on three other Macs where this
> setting has never been adjusted, and none of them have tooltips.
> It seems to me that the default must actually be for tooltips to be OFF.

Very interesting. Running Safari Version 2.0.4 (419.3) w/10.4.9 and with this
in Terminal:

defaults read com.apple.safari WebKitShowsURLsInToolTips

I get back:
2007-05-28 11:37:57.258 defaults[1538]
The domain/default pair of (com.apple.safari, WebKitShowsURLsInToolTips) does
not exist

However, hovering the cursor over the URL window and bookmark bar entries, the
tooltips pop up with the URLs. I'm at a loss to understand why it's not working
on your machines without activating the setting.