[X4U] aDSL: dynamic vs. static IP

Linda XPressoBean at mac.com
Sat Nov 3 11:01:08 PDT 2007

On 11/3/07 12:34 PM, Jim Robertson wrote:

> AND I'd lose my beloved TiVo.

DISH offers their own version of DVR. :-)

I've got ATT/Yahoo for my DSL, have had for a little more than a year, and
it's only been out twice (cable was out a couple times a month for varying
lengths of time). When it was out, tech support on the phone was great,
walked me through what to do (one of the two times it was something I needed
to reset here in my house to get back online -- in addition to restarting
the modem and router, you *also* need to unplug the DSL cord from the wall
for 10-30 seconds, which I never had to do with my years of cable internet
service).

My fear of "bundled services" is that if service goes out, do all of your
services go out at once? With cable, it was too often for my taste, and
users tell me that you *do* lose cable phone service when cable goes out.
With AT&T/Yahoo, even when my DSL was out, my phone wasn't (oddly). DISH is
separate from your internet/phone, so service interruption isn't an
all-or-nothing prospect.

Can't comment on the dedicated IP number. I don't have that with AT&T DSL,
but before I go on a trip I doublecheck my IP, and I can always get back to
my computer if I need to (unless the power has gone out). My IP address
hasn't changed in several months; I haven't kept track to see how often it
does change, though. I'm certain it must...

Don't be afraid to haggle the price of the channel groupings. Seriously.
Especially if you're thinking of going with a bigger bundle. They know they
have to be competitive with the cable charges in your area as well as the
other satellite TV providers. Do your homework and find out what the premium
channel packages cost with the other cable/satellite providers in your area;
don't mention a specific channel that you "can't" live without; don't be
afraid to quote  numbers from the other providers even if it's not for
exactly the same service. "Well, for just a couple dollars more than what
you're quoting me, I could get *two* premium packages on DirecTV..."

Also make note that many "deals" are time-limited -- a free premium package
for six months, free texting for one year, etc.

Good luck.

~Linda