[X4U] Hosting on Dot Mac

Daly Jessup jessup at san.rr.com
Mon Nov 12 06:35:24 PST 2007

At 8 32  -0500 11/12/07, Neil Laubenthal wrote:
>Has anybody tried hosting a personal domain at Dot Mac? According to
>Apple (both the online and the pretty much useless, canned reply I
>got when I emailed support about it) . . . using iWeb 08 is required.

iWeb is most decidedly not needed. If you put your site folder in the
Public or the Sites folder on the iDisk, others can reach them
without having to enter a password to log in to your iDisk. In fact,
here's an explanation straight from Apple:

<http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=42989> of how to
compose your URL.

You can make your site with any method you like: hand-coding, or
using an html editor of any kind. Just upload the finished site
folder to the folder of your choice on the iDisk. Note that Apple
says that if you put the folder in your Sites folder, you don't even
have to reference the Sites folder in your URL.

Here's a quick sample of a URL for a file I put in my Public folder
on the iDisk, just to show you the URL:
<http://homepage.mac.com/jessup/.Public/test.html>

And  here is a sample URL for a file placed in the Sites folder:
<http://homepage.mac.com/jessup/test.html>

Daly