[X4U] Hosting on Dot Mac

Neil Laubenthal neil at laubenthal.net
Mon Nov 12 07:05:12 PST 2007

Quoting Daly Jessup <jessup at san.rr.com>:

> iWeb is most decidedly not needed.

> Here's a quick sample of a URL for a file I put in my Public folder on
> the iDisk, just to show you the URL:

True . . .but I'm wondering about the "personal domain option" that
Dot Mac has now along with the option in iWeb 08 to specify a domain.
That way you don't need the homepage.mac.com part because you've
specified in Dot Mac that they are to host domain_name.net and then
set the DNS entry for domain_name.net to point to homepage.mac.com.

Once you set the Dot Mac personal domain preference, it tell you what
to point the DNS to and it's a generic thing not domain specific. My
impression is that internally Dot Mac points domain_name.net to some
path on the appropriate iDisk. Their documentation for using this
feature says that it requires iWeb 08 . . . but if my surmise is
correct then it would just be a matter of creating the 'correct'
structure on the iDisk and then setting the Dot Mac preference and DNS.