[X4U] Hosting on Dot Mac

Daly Jessup jessup at san.rr.com
Wed Nov 14 06:13:18 PST 2007

At 18 54  -0500 11/12/07, Neil Laubenthal wrote:
>Hi Kathy . . . I must have phrased the question poorly . . .let me
>try again. I got a couple private replies that also gave essentially
>this same answer so it must have been me and not the repliers:-)
>
>I know that you can just manually copy web sites up to you iDisk and
>put them in the sites folder . . .but then you have to use a url
>like homepage.mac.com/dotmacusername.
>
>They have a new feature that allows you to host your own domain . .
>. you set the domain up in Dot Mac preferences . . . then set your
>domain DNS to point to homepage.mac.com (nothing to do with your
>domain name). Then you set your domain name in iWeb 08 and it
>publishes your site to the right folder name on your iDisk. I was
>wondering what "the right folder name" might be and if you manually
>created this folder and set the preferences and DNS if all would
>still work as it should.

Neil,

I assume that you have probably solved this by now, but you made me
very curious, and today I finally had a few minutes to finish
figuring it out for myself.

I have a domain called "adajessup.com" and it has a few subdomains,
including "daly.adajessup.com".
I followed the instructions at:
<http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Dotmac/Member/en/gen367.html>

and here's the result:  <http://daly.adajessup.com>

The secret, after creating your CNAME entry at your domain host, is
to put your site folders and index page in the /Web/Sites/ folder on
your iDisk.  I think your error was putting "homepage.mac.com" in
your CNAME entry.  The correct entry is "web.mac.com".

Cool! Thank you very much for pointing out this new feature of
dotmac!  I'll play with it after work today.

Daly