[X4U] OS X On Generic PC Hardware

Robert Ameeti Robert at Ameeti.net
Thu Nov 15 19:09:53 PST 2007

At 8:28 PM -0500, 11/15/07, Clifford H. Readout, Jr. wrote:

>One of my associates has been running OS X  on his PC laptop for more than a
>year, along with Linux and Windows XP.

>His were legally owned copies of each OS, so he broke no laws.

'Tis interesting that users accept the fact that Microsoft has a
'Full version' of Windows XP and an Upgrade version of XP (and also
of Vista.) Users also accept that the Upgrade is for users who
already have a previous version of Windows installed and that the
Full version is for those users who might build their own computer
and not already have a Windows installation that they are upgrading.
When a user purchases the Upgrade version, there is always some sort
of validation that is done to verify that the user already owns a
previous copy of Windows.

As for Apple's OS that it sells, the box is not labeled Upgrade
because Apple does not sell a 'Full Version'. The license inside says
that the copy that you are purchasing is for your right to install it
on an Apple computer that already has an Apple OS installed on it.

Thus, any purchase of Apple's OS that is used to install on a PC is
illegal since the PC did not already have installed on it a previous
copy of an Apple OS.
--

Robert Ameeti

The days of the digital watch are numbered.
            -- Tom Stoppard