[X4U] OS X On Generic PC Hardware

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Fri Nov 16 05:53:12 PST 2007

On 16 Nov 2007, at 08:44, Zane H. Healy wrote:
> In any case, as has been pointed out, this is illegal, it is in
> violation of the Mac OS X licensing.

Any chance you can drop this, please, Zane?

Randy opened this discussion on the basis of "what do you think about
it? leaving legalities aside." We all know that running OS X on a
generic PC is a breach of the license, but that won't stop anyone
that wants to do it. And I suspect that - at this point in time - the
majority of people who'd want to build their own hackintosh are
natural pirates, anyway.

I have bought PowerMacs for my last two desktops simply because they
run OS X and they have dual-video outputs. PowerMacs - or MacPros -
are more easily & fully "upgradeable" than other Macs, but to be
honest I don't know how much I use that. My current DP G5 has 3gig of
RAM and nothing extra in the PCI slots. The accommodation for an
additional SATA drive is useful occasionally, but not often used, and
not essential.

The premium I pay for meeting my needs is ridiculous - the UK Apple
Store lists MacPros from £1,699 - that's $3,400 in your money - and
really, I haven't felt I've gotten a good deal in the past. Apple's
hardware is indeed GORGEOUS, but the additional cost of AppleCare was
prohibitive, so I skipped it. This time both the front firewire port
& the graphics card have failed outside warranty.

Considering how badly this G5 has depreciated, it's not worth
replacing the graphics card even with a second hand Apple one - were
this machine in perfect running order then I'd be pleased to get 500
quid for it on eBay, yet a secondhand graphics card from a reputable
3rd-party supplier is > £200. Instead I was able to pick up an ATi
9800 Pro on eBay for £30, flash it with a hacked firmware & it works
perfectly.

Thus my slide into hackintoshery has started. The benchmarks posted
show that an 8-core MacPro will slay a dual-core on particularly well-
threaded applications - who'd have guessed it? - but otherwise this
$800 machine will do everything I require. I built a mostly-new XP PC
for a customer the other week, buying a new case, motherboard, CPU &
RAM and transferring his hard- and optical-drives over; the cost of
the hardware was right about £300, and that included a decent-enough
PCI-Express graphics card, Core2Duo processor & 2gig of RAM. I love
Apple's hardware - it just feels so well-made and such good quality -
but the £25 ATX case I picked up last week really was a very great
improvement on the ATX cases I was using a few years ago; there was
really nothing at all wrong with this one and I would go as far as to
say it was quite excellent for its price. What can Apple give me at
£1700 than I can't get for £400 elsewhere?

Will I buy a generic PC and install OS X on it next time around? My
G5 is doing so well that it's far too early to say. I've always loved
OS X for its ease of use, and the idea of messing around with stuff
to try & get it to install on a beige box does bother me. There's a
big bit of me that says "hop to Linux" at that price, but of course
that raises as many questions again.

Stroller.