[X4U] OS X On Generic PC Hardware

Randy B. Singer randy at macattorney.com
Thu Nov 15 14:55:58 PST 2007

Putting aside the legalities, I was wondering what folks thought
about this.  Apparently after a lot of  work, a group has managed to
hack OSX to run on generic x86 hardware.

http://lifehacker.com/software/hack-attack/build-a-hackintosh-mac-for-
under-800-321913.php

http://lifehacker.com/software/benchmarks/hackintosh-vs-mac-pro-vs-
macbook-pro-benchmarks-322866.php

It seems that with an $800 investment you can build a computer that
runs OSX roughly as well as a $2500 Mac Pro.

What do folks think that the repercussions of being able to do this
will be?  (Clearly building your own Mac isn't for everyone, just as
building your own Windows PC isn't for every Windows user.  It may be
that even though you can build your own Mac that very few users will
actually undertake to do so.)

I'm wondering  how hard Apple will come down on the "OSx86 Project."

Randy B. Singer

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html