[X4U] Laptop battery life?

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Sat Nov 17 11:46:51 PST 2007

Hey, gang,

I have a 13" MacBook, which I bought 15/06/2006. Since I ordered by
phone from Apple I'd guess it may have arrived a week or two later.

Originally when the laptop was new the battery meter would read "4
hours remaining" when fully charged and I would say I probably got at
least 3.5 hours out of it. When it was new I would get a warning when
there was 10 or 12 minutes remaining, and if I didn't save my work &
connect to a charger then the laptop would go dead when 3 or 4
minutes showed as remaining.

The above behaviour is just as I experienced with my previous 12"
Powerbook G4, which I must've bought in 2004 and which I owned for 2
or 2.5 years. The battery charge would give me about the same number
of hours and it would warn me & cut out in exactly the same way with
a few minutes remaining on the clock. I figured that even when I'd
owned it all that time -  2 or 2.5 years - the battery life was not
less than 75% or 80% of what it had been originally.

Around about May or June this year the graphics card in my G5 died
and the MacBook started getting a little more use - perhaps 4 extra
hours per day - and I was quickly annoyed to find that it was running
out of charge & shutting down without warning. In July I logged a
call to AppleCare to complain about this & they asked me to reset my
PRAM, but my G5 was fixed shortly afterwards, so the matter became no
longer so pressing.

Within a couple of weeks it became apparent, however, that the
problem hadn't been resolved and by I'd estimate that by last month
battery life was down to 2 hours or less. Last night the laptop cut
out dead when it was displaying 25 minutes remaining.

So I called Apple about this this afternoon, and they tried to tell
me that batteries wear out, deteriorate & that mine is within
specification. What are the member's thoughts on this?

The short story is that after I expressed my dissatisfaction the
support agent at Apple agreed to give me a new battery "as a
courtesy". Based on a "full charge capacity (mAh)" of 4105 in System
Profiler they reckoned the battery to be 80% as good as new, but that
just doesn't jibe with the number of hours I seem to be getting out
of it - unless I'm misunderestimating quite badly, I'm getting about
half the battery life I originally did.

Part of the reason that Apple agreed to this replacement was that
they started out by saying that one should only expect 300 charge
cycles out of a battery and that mine has 302 (again, shown in System
Profiler). I replied by observing that 50 or 100 of those must've
been in the last 6 months since I first reported the problem and they
said that I'd reported 302 charge cycles in July. Either their logs
are wrong or the flash memory (??) inside this battery is knackered.
I suppose that could cause the problem I'm seeing.

I'd better add that the usage of my Powerbook & my MacBook has been
about the same - my laptop gets fully charged, and is then normally
used for a day or two until it's flat and fully charged again.
Sometimes it's charged up again when it's only halfway flat, but not
so often. It probably averages three "charge cycles" (if I'm using
that term correctly) per week, perhaps 3.5. The exception to this was
indeed when my G5 was misbehaving, but again it was generally fully
charged & discharged each time; I guess it may have racked up a
maximum of 100 charge cycles over that 2 month period, but that's
absolute tops. Obviously I don't think that's a big contributing
factor, but perhaps I'm mistaken?

As I said to the AppleCare guy - I absolutely wouldn't be complaining
if battery life was down to 75% or 80% of what it was originally -
I'd consider that quite reasonable.

What I can offer to the list is that if you have problems with your
battery then report them early. If AppleCare's staff starts to
indicate that they reckon you should buy a new battery then you might
nevertheless get a warranty replacement if you're polite & present
your case well.

I'd love to hear the list's thoughts & experiences over laptop
battery life in return. A bonus question: in System Profiler, under
Power it says "first low level warning: no". Is this the setting that
disables the battery from saying "yikes! I'm about to power down, so
you should save your work"? And if so, how do I turn it on again,
please? Apple didn't ask me a thing about this when I was on the
phone to them today.

Thanks in advance for any comments or advice,

Stroller.