[X4U] Laptop battery life?

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Sun Nov 18 08:11:02 PST 2007

On 17 Nov 2007, at 19:46, Stroller wrote:
> The short story is that after I expressed my dissatisfaction the
> support agent at Apple agreed to give me a new battery "as a
> courtesy". Based on a "full charge capacity (mAh)" of 4105 in
> System Profiler they reckoned the battery to be 80% as good as new,
> but that just doesn't jibe with the number of hours I seem to be
> getting out of it - unless I'm misunderestimating quite badly, I'm
> getting about half the battery life I originally did.
>
> Part of the reason that Apple agreed to this replacement was that
> they started out by saying that one should only expect 300 charge
> cycles out of a battery and that mine has 302 (again, shown in
> System Profiler). ...

FWIW this is what my mother's identical MacBook shows:

Battery Information:

   Battery Installed:	Yes
   First low level warning:	No
   Full Charge Capacity (mAh):	5439
   Remaining Capacity (mAh):	5358
   Amperage (mA):	-45
   Voltage (mV):	12438
   Cycle Count:	38

It would appear to be in MUCH better condition than mine - perhaps
surprisingly so, as I didn't think I mistreated mine so badly. Hers
is also a CoreDuo (not Core2) and is probably 6 months newer than
mine - perhaps a year old. I'm surprised to find that it shows so few
cycles - this must indicate a COMPLETE discharge & recharge; I think
my mother's normal usage is to leave the laptop unplugged when in
normal use and plug it in when she's finished; she probably uses it
typically for 30 - 60 minutes at a time.

Stroller.