[X4U] Hide the extension: I don't want to but X wants!

Aaron aaron at macuser.fastmail.fm
Tue Nov 20 07:19:24 PST 2007

Here's an AppleScript you can save as an application and use as a droplet to turn off the "hide extension" property of the file(s) you drop on it.

on open names
	tell application "Finder"
		repeat with i in names
			set extension hidden of i to false
		end repeat
	end tell
end open

[Tested under Tiger 10.4.10 only!]

I've forgotten most of the little I used to know about AppleScript, so I'd need to do a bit of study to rewrite this to be used from the Scripts menu to act on files selected in the Finder. Maybe somebody else can do that!

 - Aaron