[X4U] Hide the extension: I don't want to but X wants!

Aaron aaron at macuser.fastmail.fm
Wed Nov 21 05:55:56 PST 2007

Here's a simple trick I hadn't thought of before:

Edit the filename in the Finder, adding the extension at the end! If you type the exact same extension as the one that's hidden, the Finder will just unhide it rather than duplicating it!

For example, if the filename is 'myfile.doc' with the extension hidden so that it shows up in the finder as 'myfile', just change the latter to 'myfile.doc'. This will not change the actual filename, i.e., it WON'T become 'myfile.doc.doc'. (OTOH, if you were to type, say, '.xyz' at the end of the name instead of '.doc', the filename would change to 'myfile.xyz.doc', with the extension '.doc' still hidden!)

 - Aaron