[X4U] RAM counsel

T.L. Miller tlmiller at mac.com
Wed Nov 21 06:58:27 PST 2007

On 11/21/07, at 9:34 AM, Nick Scalise nickscalise at cox.net said:

>If you buy from a 3rd party though, be sure to save your old RAM. If
>your laptop ever needs repairs, Apple will want the RAM they shipped
>with the unit before they do any trouble shooting.
>
>For $90 (the difference between Crucial and Apple RAM), it's a small
>enough bump that it may be worth it to just pay the Apple Tax, get the
>Apple RAM and not have to worry about replacing it if your laptop needs
>fixing.

I had a MacBook (first version) that regularly gave me problems. Since
some of the problems pointed to RAM, I removed the Ramjet RAM and
reinstalled it -- making sure it was firmly seated. No help, so I
returned the 2 gigs to Ramjet and they sent out another 2 gigs. The
problems persisted, so I took to the Apple store in Tampa. They kept it
a few days and then told me (after I insisted) that they could only find
problems when the 3rd party RAM was installed -- not when they put in
their own. So, I contacted Ramjet and they said it was highly unlikely
that these two sets of RAM were bad, but they sent me a 3rd set of 2 gigs.

The problems, persisted, I took it to an independent Apple repair shop
and they replaced the motherboard. Problems solved.

Maybe if my MacBook had had Apple RAM in it, the Apple store would have
persisted and found the real source of the problem. Would have saved a
lot of time and trouble.

I rarely have had problems with my Macs and Ramjet has always had good
customer service. My next Mac will probably get 3rd party RAM --
depending on prices at the time.

Tom Miller
"The only time we see the middle of the road is as
we run from side to side." R.O.Clark