[X4U] RAM counsel

Nick Scalise nickscalise at cox.net
Wed Nov 21 06:34:27 PST 2007

---- Jesse Leo <jleo at projectsupport.com> wrote:

> Looking at getting a Macbook, ideally with 2GB RAM. I've priced it out, and
> Apple will ship it with 2GB for an extra $150. However, a lot of other
> places offer it for much cheaper - crucial.com, for example.
>
> Here are my concerns:
>
> 1) Is RAM from 3rd party places going to flake out on me? Or is it pretty
> much the same across the board? The old saying "If it costs 10 cents,
> chances are it ain't worth a dime." comes to mind.
>
> 2) If I do get the RAM from a 3rd party, I'd be stuck with two 512 modules
> that ship with the Macbook. Lame.
>
> Any thoughts/advice/opinions you guys have would be great.

Crucial RAM is good. Apple uses it.

If you buy from a 3rd party though, be sure to save your old RAM. If your laptop ever needs repairs, Apple will want the RAM they shipped with the unit before they do any trouble shooting.

For $90 (the difference between Crucial and Apple RAM), it's a small enough bump that it may be worth it to just pay the Apple Tax, get the Apple RAM and not have to worry about replacing it if your laptop needs fixing.

--
Nick Scalise
nickscalise at cox.net