[X4U] Stacks of Apps?

Doug McNutt douglist at macnauchtan.com
Sat Nov 24 19:00:26 PST 2007

At 11:49 +1100 11/25/07, Christopher Collins wrote:
>Loving Leopard including the stacks and spaces features.
>
>Now to the question. I want to be able to create stacks of
>applications on the left hand side of the dock. I'm thinking of things
>like a Browsers stack, an iWork stack, an iLife stack, a Utilities
>stack, etc
>
>eg: I want Pages, Keynote and Numbers to be in a stack called iWork.
>When I click on iWork, the stack opens and lets me click on any of the
>applications (Keynote, Pages or Numbers) inside that stack.
>
>I know I can create them on the right hand side of the stack using
>AutoStacks, but that to me, just duplicates the icons on the left.
>
>I've done some searching, but have been unable to find any way to make
>an application stack for the left hand side of the dock.
>
>I did think of creating stacks on the right, and then deleting the
>program icons from the left, but that isn't really an elegant solution
>
>Any ideas anyone?

On this machine I would create a folder 'System Folder:Apple Menu Items:iWork' and I would put aliases to Keynote, Pages, and Numbers into the new folder.

A pull down on the Apple Menu immediately provides a menu that does just what you want. But this is an 8500 running OS 9.1.  In OS neXt you might consider just making a directory on the desktop and putting aliases to the apps there. You could position it just left of the dock.

--

Applescript syntax is like English spelling:
Roughly, though not thoroughly, thought through.