Subject: [X4U] USB 1.2 and 2.0

Ray Choiniere rfcee at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 26 11:23:14 PST 2007

On Nov 26, 2007, at 6:41 AM, Stroller wrote:

> You obviously live in a different world from the majority of home
> users, Mr Singer.
>
> For me, too, a 1gig flash drive is insufficient to back up all my
> photos, but for many people a flash drive is sufficient to
> accommodate the entire contents of their ~/Documents directory.
> This is a VERY common usage of flash drives and - outside of this
> list - the number of people who have an external hard-drive or feel
> the need to backup their entire system is quite small.

For what it's worth, I'm one of those "home users," and I can't
imagine — at least without twitching uncontrollably — NOT keeping a
current backup of my entire system. Obviously a flash drive is a
lousy device for doing such a thing. On the other hand, I have found
flash drives extremely handy for interim transfers of various
documents to/from my laptop — which also serves as a pretty decent
external backup. I have the impression that this is what Randy was
indicating.

I've lost track of how this thread began, so maybe I'm missing the
point. If so, please forgive me, but at this moment I don't see how
talking about "the majority of home users" invalidates Randy's point.
(Helpful advice or reminders always welcome!)

Thanks;

Ray