[X4U] Cannot select MacSOUP as my email client after running Apple Mail.

Jamie Kahn Genet lists at wizardling.geek.nz
Mon Nov 26 09:50:16 PST 2007

Linda <XPressoBean at mac.com> wrote:

> On 11/25/07 1:38 AM, Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
>

> > Yes I know. That doesn't work. It flips back to Mail.
>
> And I assume you save your Preferences when you exit? And quit Mail? And
> have MacSOUP running?

Nothing matters. It's definitely an OS bug/'feature'.

> Have you downloaded the latest version -- 2.82 -- that lists "Fixed problems
> when running under Leopard" in its release notes?

Yeah, but I suspect the OS is playing nanny state...

> This is from the snafu.de website:
>
> > MacSOUP is primarily a newsreader, its e-mail capabilities are somewhat
> > rudimentary compared to "real" e-mail clients.

It's still the best way I've found to read threaded conversations, basic
though it is. Mail and Thunderbird can't hold a candle to MacSOUP in
this respect.

> Perhaps it's not recognized as an actual email client by your OS. You could
> try highlighting Mail.app in the Finder, pressing the Command key and
> clicking the mouse to invoke the contextual menu, and choosing "Create
> Archive of" Mail, deleting the original and keeping the .zip file, so that
> it *can't* launch.
>
> Let us know if that works.
>
> ~Linda

I suspect that is the trouble and I will actually have to get rid
of/hide Mail to force OSX to cooperate. This is bloody annoying. _I_ am
the user. I'll choose whatever I like to me my emailer. I'll select my
FTP client (or similar crazy choice that won't work) if I like. Dammit
Apple! Don't play nanny state with me!

Regards,
 Jamie Kahn Genet