[X4U] HDTV with a Mac

Neil lists at mac.com
Thu Nov 29 19:52:51 PST 2007

On Nov 29, 2007, at 5:17 AM, Tim Collier wrote:

> It is true that after 2009, anybody who still has an analog TV will
> need to purchase a converter as all TV signals will be broadcast in
> HD.

Actually, I think that we can still use our old TV sets with a cable
or satellite set top box, at least for awhile after analog broadcasts
cease.

> One thing to remember though is that you can purchase an antenna
> that will pick up local stations that are now broadcasting in HD
> and get them directly on your Mac or HDTV.  Locally, in Miami, CBS,
> NBC, Fox, ABC and PBS broadcast HDTV signals that I can pick up
> with the 'rabbit ears' type HDTV antenna and get the signal on the
> Mac, I forget what software I use.

Are you in the northern part of Miami?  I tried two or three
different brands of rabbit ears, including one with an amplifier, and
none of them gave me a good signal to my EyeTV 500 on a PowerMac dual
G5/2.0.  I'm in Miami-Dade too, but in South Miami, about a mile east
of Dadeland.  I know that the broadcast towers  are north of Miami,
up near the county line in order to cover both Miami-Dade and Broward
(Ft. Lauderdale) counties.  So, I'm going to have to get a roof top
antenna.  Now that I think about it, maybe my problem was that my Mac
just wasn't fast enough to keep up.  I never tried it on a TV.