[X4U] Dell printer driver for Mac?

Daly Jessup jessup at san.rr.com
Fri Nov 30 17:15:04 PST 2007

At 15 57  +0000 11/30/07, Stroller wrote:

>Dell probably don't offer any Mac drivers for their printers, but
>you may have luck configuring it through CUPS
><http://localhost:631/>.
>
>As you will see from
><http://openprinting.org/printer_list.cgi?make=Dell> some of Dell's
>printers are rebadged but otherwise identical to other
>manufacturers' models; I think some may now be uniquely Dell. You
>will also see from that page that some of Dell's printers are
>useless under anything but Windows, but you may be lucky - using
>CUPS myself I have found that some printers require little more than
>the right PPD file copied to the right place on your Mac before
>you're able to configure it correctly.

Are you actually able to configure a printer through CUPS now? As far
as I can figure out, Tiger killed CUPS, but if you know a way around
it, I'd love to hear it.  I've been trying to access my old
LaserWriter 16/600 through CUPS but get error messages when I click
the Configure Printer link.

It may be that some geeks have made workarounds, but if so, I can't
understand them. Here's what it says at the CUPS site (scroll to the
darkend rectangle under "Binaries" at the middle of the page:
<http://www.cups.org/software.php>

Daly