[X4U] Countdown to Leopard

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Fri Oct 19 16:28:11 PDT 2007

> Any upgrade to the os will happen for me the next time I upgrade my
> hardware, and that could be a few years off. If ever!

I finally upgraded to 10.4.x a few months ago, it took my wanting to run
something that required 10.4 to force my hand. This is in spite of buying
10.4 the day it was released.

> Apple did a great job designing both computer and OS, and I'm going to
> use this rig until it goes up in smoke!

You've got that right, in another 2-3 weeks I hit the 4 year point on my G5
2x2, and any speed issues have been resolved by adding more RAM (currently
at 5.5GB).  The only software that feels slow is the current version of
Adobe Acrobat.  I hope to get at least two more years out of this system
before I replace it.  While I'd like a nice 4 or 8-core Mac Pro, I can't
justify it with as well as this system works.

My G4/450 felt slow when surfing within a year or two of purchasing it, and
IIRC, I replaced it after 4 years.

Zane