[X4U] Mac MIni?

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Tue Apr 1 12:41:16 PDT 2008

> I've been thinking about a Mac Mini, but see that the video RAM is
> 'shared' system RAM. (like many laptops)
>
> Anyone have any experience with a Mac MIni??
>
> It'd be a home computer, but I do minor/intermediate desktop
> publishing work on the side, and a small non-profit website.
>
> (not heavy Photoshop, but some..)
>
> Cost is a major factor - I loove the MIni price point.
>
> (I have an LCD monitor, ext. FW DVD burner, & ext FW HDs)
>
> I don't -need- much, but I'd hate to be miserable if the video
> performance is truly awful!!
>
> (I'm on a G4-466 now, sooo... )

I'm on a G5 2x2, and the main issue I have with the Mac Mini is the same
thing I have with anything in Apple's current lineup with the exception of
the Mac Pro, and that is the amount of RAM you can put in it.  At 2GB I
think the Mac Mini is the worst.

If you're moving from a G4-466 I suspect you'll be blown away.  I moved from
a G4/450AGP to my G5 2x2 over four years ago, and I was blown away, and it
still does everything I need.  The Mac Mini should actually offer a simular
performance boost for you.  My wife has an older 2Ghz MacBook, I believe it
has shared graphics memory and has no problem with video performance.

I don't know when the Mac Mini will be revised next, but I can't help but
wonder if I'll be interested in it at that point.

Zane

Zane