[X4U] youtube

Eugene list-themacintoshguy at fsck.net
Thu Apr 3 06:16:53 PDT 2008

On Wed, Apr 02, 2008 at 07:18:41PM CDT, John McClernan <mcclernan1 at comcast.net> wrote:

>> Parsing the URL from the Activity window in Safari?
>> It'd be nicer to be able to right-cilck Flash video
>> and bring up a contextual menu to download it.
>
> All you really have to do is to hold down your "option" key and click on
> that URL in the Activity window. It will start downloading right away. The
> downloaded file will be "get_video" but you can change it to any name you
> want, then add .flv to it and it will play in QuickTime after you have
> installed the Perian plugin. When it opens in QuickTime, you can "Save
> As..." a self-contained movie (.mov) or just leave it as .flv

It's still too many steps.  And even though this works for YouTube and
the CGI app named "get_video", it does not work for non-YouTube sites
that use other CGI app names.  Memorize different CGI app names for
every different site?  Not an elegant solution, which is something I've
been searching for in Safari.

BTW, I found a solution that works pretty well for Safari and YouTube.
It's a Safari plugin called SafariStand.  Installing is a bit of a pain.
But it let's me simply command-click a YouTube video and it copies the
already-downloaded FLV content (from Safari's cache) into a normal file.

<http://hetima.com/safari/stand-e.html>

--
Eugene