[X4U] G5 Video Card Question

Rod Buchanan lists at sofstats.com
Thu Apr 3 21:48:34 PDT 2008

On Apr 2, 2008, at 10:35 PM, Zane H. Healy wrote:

> At 6:03 PM -0500 4/2/08, Rod Buchanan wrote:
>
>> I have a first-gen PowerMac G5 (2x2) with the original 64MB Radeon
>> 9600 graphics card.  The machine still runs great, but video
>> performance can be slow at times.  Would upgrading to a ATI RADEON
>> 9600 PRO (256MB) help performance?
>>
>> I'm looking to get by as cheap as I can (it's too old to invest a
>> lot of money in).
>
> I'm running the same system.  Let me guess you're looking at running
> Aperture?  This was why I went with Adobe Lightroom.  I'm not sure
> there is an *affordable* video card upgrade available unless you get
> lucky.  At this point the only upgrades that really make sense are
> HD upgrades, as they can be moved to a new Mac Pro.  Having said
> that, I'm sitting at 5.5GB, and moving to 8GB is getting tempting.

Aperture?  No -- Hell, wife & I just joined the digital camera world
in January. :)  My thing is music.  (A fifty-something ex "Rock &
Roller" trying to learn Logic 8.)

You're right about _affordable_ cards.  The 9600 PRO/256 is the only
thing I've seen in a while for < $350.  I'm sitting at 3.5GB memory
and don't think I'm maxing it out.  But with memory prices as low as
they are (and Logic's appetite) I'm tempted to stuff more in anyway.

--
Rod

"Politics and Poker, Politics and Poker,
Shuffle up the cards, And find the joker.
-- Sheldon Harnick and Jerry Bock, from "Fiorello"