[X4U] G5 Video Card Question

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Thu Apr 3 22:21:56 PDT 2008

At 11:48 PM -0500 4/3/08, Rod Buchanan wrote:
>Aperture?  No -- Hell, wife & I just joined the digital camera world
>in January. :)  My thing is music.  (A fifty-something ex "Rock &
>Roller" trying to learn Logic 8.)

How can I put this...  You've got to be F***** kidding me!  You need
a better graphics card for an Audio application?  Now I know I'm
right, Apple is writing software such that you need to upgrade when
you shouldn't need to.  That is just plain insane.  I can sort of
understand the need to upgrade for Aperture, I can't see how any
audio software needs better graphics, I can't imagine it needing to
be much more graphically intensive than Peak 2 on an old 8500/180.

>You're right about _affordable_ cards.  The 9600 PRO/256 is the only
>thing I've seen in a while for < $350.  I'm sitting at 3.5GB memory
>and don't think I'm maxing it out.  But with memory prices as low as
>they are (and Logic's appetite) I'm tempted to stuff more in anyway.

I did the graphics card upgrade for my G4/450 AGP, and it cost about
$300.  I did it so I could use all the features of I think 10.3.  I
should have saved the money and put it towards the G5 2x2 I'm running
now, as I upgraded a few months later.

With the way I use a computer, and 2GB kits nearing the $100 mark,
going from 5.5GB to a full 8GB is very tempting.  At the same time I
can't help but think I should force myself to live in 5.5GB, and save
the money towards an upgrade.  One of these days I'm going to want a
new Mac Pro, probably about the time I upgrade from Adobe Creative
Suite Premium to CS3 (or maybe CS4).  I'm doing some heavy Lightroom
& Photoshop CS work tonight, and typing this while I wait on the
various steps.  So right now I'm wishing I'd already upgraded, but
normally I'm just fine with the G5. :^)  I hope to get another year
or two's use out of this system (and it's already 4.4 years old.

Zane