[X4U] G5 Video Card Question

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Fri Apr 4 09:52:38 PDT 2008

At 7:11 AM -0500 4/4/08, Rod Buchanan wrote:
>No -- hehe -- though Logic is no ordinary audio application.  It
>came on 7-8 DVDs and took _hours_ to install.  I think the program
>that bugs me the most

Good grief!

>is Numbers.  Could be its problems are more v1.0-related than the video card.

I would hope that is v1.0 rather than video card.

>Seems like there have been other programs (Adobe CS3 Web Premium
>maybe?) where I suspected a video upgrade would help, but right now
>which one(s) escape me.

I tried out the demo for Adobe Dreamweaver CS3, and it seemed pretty
sluggish (I miss Adobe PageMill 3).  The app that is really bad is
Adobe Acrobat 8.  I think that was the first thing to make this
system feel slow.  I still use the 6.0.2 Acrobat Pro from CS Premium,
it is nice and fast.

>Same here.  At some point it becomes pouring money down the drain.
>Like you I hope for a couple more years out of "BigMac" before upgrading.

Realistically the only thing at this point that makes sense are
peripherals or HD's.  I just added a 2nd 750GB drive to mine,
replacing a 300GB.  I figure the 750GB drives will move over to the
Mac Pro when the time comes.  I'll stick a small SATA drive in the
G5, and the kids can use it (if it is still working).

Zane