[X4U] G5 Video Card Question

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Fri Apr 4 13:43:40 PDT 2008

On 3 Apr 2008, at 04:35, Zane H. Healy wrote:

> At 6:03 PM -0500 4/2/08, Rod Buchanan wrote:
>> I have a first-gen PowerMac G5 (2x2) with the original 64MB Radeon
>> 9600 graphics card.  The machine still runs great, but video
>> performance can be slow at times.  Would upgrading to a ATI RADEON
>> 9600 PRO (256MB) help performance?
>>
>> I'm looking to get by as cheap as I can (it's too old to invest a
>> lot of money in).
>
> I'm running the same system.  ... I'm not sure there is an
> *affordable* video card upgrade available unless you get lucky. ...

You can flash a PC's ATi 9800 Pro to a Mac firmware.

These cards are quite common - they're quite distinctive when you
know what to look for, and you can easily get one on eBay for £30 (or
probably less now). It's not too difficult to do and although it's an
imperfect solution, well, compared with the cost of an official card,
it was the only answer that seemed to make sense when my G5's
graphics card died.

Stroller.