[X4U] Network Cables and Speed

Ken Schneider ken at schneider.net
Sat Apr 5 13:30:19 PDT 2008

There is so much different advice about ethernet cables that I am
confused. Some people say that to get gigabit speeds you need to use
Cat6 cables. Some say Cat5e is OK and some say Cat5 is OK for short
runs. I want to get the fastest speeds possible. My longest cable run
is 25 feet. Do I need Cat6? If I need to get Cat6 cables I will since
they will be fairly short.

Also, how can I tell how fast my network is running? I've looked for
applications that measure this but haven't found any. Is there any
software that will tell me the speed of my data transfers?

Thanks,

-= Ken =-