[X4U] Network Cables and Speed

Robert Ameeti Robert at Ameeti.net
Sun Apr 6 14:17:41 PDT 2008

At 1:46 PM -0700, 4/6/08, Thomas W Noel wrote:

>>There is so much different advice about ethernet cables that I am
>>confused. Some people say that to get gigabit speeds you need to
>>use Cat6 cables.

That would be correct.

>>>Do I need Cat6?

If you expect to fully utilize a gigabit network. Regardless of how
short the distance is you need Cat-6. If you go this route, you can
achieve similar results up to 300 feet.

>And remember, the network is only as fast as the slowest component
>--  so every plug, switch, hub, and NIC has to be also rated Cat6 or
>the cables are just a waste.

Switches, hubs, and NICs are not rated 'Cat' anything. Only cable and
the cable connectors are rated in this way.

The other components must be rated for a Gigabyte  or 1000BASE-T network.

--

Robert Ameeti

Poets have been mysteriously silent on the subject of cheese.
            -- G. K. Chesterton