[X4U] Make the Junk filter do a better job?

Randy B. Singer randy at macattorney.com
Fri Apr 18 11:02:51 PDT 2008

On Apr 18, 2008, at 10:46 AM, nk wrote:

> My hosting service, Bluehost, suggested a challenge/response type
> thing, which they provide, but can anyone here talk about how
> clients feel about stuff like that?
>
> am I understanding correctly that a new emailer (like a potential
> client) can email you, then have to "prove" their legitimacy by
> answering a qualifying email?

Exactly.  A new potential client, who you have not already white-
listed, simply has to respond to a "challenge" e-mail to show that
they are in-fact a real person and not a spam bot.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Challenge-response_spam_filtering

While challenge/response systems can effectively cut spam down to
zero, they can also dissuade legitimate contacts from e-mailing you.
I personally find challenge/response systems to be terribly
annoying.  For instance when I send out my newsletter (100% to folks
who have purposely subscribed), a certain number will always bounce
from addresses where a c/r system has been put in place and the
addressee has neglected to put my e-mail address on his while list.
If I receive more than one or two such bounces I'm not inclined to
respond to them.

I think that in most instances a c/r system is overkill.  But I can
easily see how some folks could get so fed up with spam that they are
willing to go with the overkill solution.

Randy B. Singer

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html