[X4U] Smart phones for Mac

Dave B DaveB_Lists_1004 at gto.net
Tue Apr 22 07:07:51 PDT 2008

 From experience:

Syncing Crackberries to a Mac can be troublesome. One must use a third-
party solution from either PocketMac (provided free by RIM) or
MarkSpace (not expensive). Neither one is flawless. I have a
frustrated real-estate agent who I'd consider to be a power user of
their 'berry. They have troubles with calendar events becoming
corrupted and giving iSync fits. For what it is worth, RIM has begun
hiring Mac developers, but it will be a while before we see anything
from them.

My wife and I both have "older" Nokia smartphones (E61 and N80) that
are fully supported by iSync. We have very few issues with them.
Leopard does a better job of syncing all day events than Tiger. Nokia
also has a nice app for syncing music / photos between their phones
and iTunes / iPhoto. Call quality on the Nokia's is better than a
Crackberry or a Treo. Software availability is astounding for the
Symbian phones.

I can't fault your co-worker for not considering the iPhone. For me,
having a QWERTY keyboard on my E61 makes hammering out emails a
breeze. I've tried the iPhone and just couldn't get it to work well,
even after 30 minutes of trying. And the lack of cost effective data
plans in Canada makes the iPhone only slightly more useful than a
Touch. Never mind the 'closed' platform, lack of official availability
here, having a camera isn't permitted in many offices I go to,  etc,
etc.

You might want to suggest to your co-worker that they take a look at
some of the phone importer websites to get a better idea of what is
available. Companies like Expansys http://www.expansys-usa.com/ or
even Tiger Direct http://www.tigerdirect.com/ for example have plenty
of unlocked and unbranded phones available.

Regards,
Dave

---
"Imagine the disincentive to software development if after months of
work another company could come along and copy your work and market it
under it's own name... without legal restraints to such copying,
companies like Apple could not afford to advance the state of the art"

-Bill Gates, 1983 (New York Times, 25 Sep 1983, p. F2)