[X4U] Smart phones for Mac

Tim Collier tim_collier at bellsouth.net
Tue Apr 22 08:26:34 PDT 2008

-----Original Message-----
From: x4u-bounces at listserver.themacintoshguy.com
[mailto:x4u-bounces at listserver.themacintoshguy.com] On Behalf Of Jim Colgate
Sent: Tuesday, April 22, 2008 9:41 AM
To: Mac OS X for Users
Subject: Re: [X4U] Smart phones for Mac

Tim, There is one thing that the iPhone cannot do and that is work with a
carrier other than AT&T. That can be a deal breaker for some people. After
all the primary purpose of a cell phone is to be a phone -- all the other
functions is just icing on the cake.

   Jim

Jim:

I know that, we were with Verizon and still have about a year on our
contract.  But the thing was, even at home I would be lucky if I got 2 bars,
some places in Miami, the service would not be available at all.  We get
hurricanes down here and local phone service goes down.  In 2006, after
Wilma, Verizon service totally went out after about 2 days.  That left us
with no phone service at all.
We had previously had Cingular (Now AT&T) and we always had 5 bars at home
and traveling anywhere in South Florida--all the way down to the Keys!  We
left them as Verizon had such pretty phones....
But a few things that we had to consider, we're 100% Mac People.  AT&T
provides better service with better coverage (at least in this area).  After
the 2006 Hurricane Season, we heard from every Cingular customer that they
never lost phone service.  With Wilma, our power was out for about 2 weeks.
Lastly, new and improved apps are going to be coming out for the iPhone.  It
wasn't a horrendously high fee to cancel service with Verizon and our AT&T
bill is actually cheaper as they charge extra for things like web access and
email.  On the iPhone, it's free.  So, in the long run, the savings with
AT&T will make up for the charge of canceling service with Verizon.
Just a few things to think about, hope this helps in the decision process.

Tim