[X4U] Smart phones for Mac

Daly Jessup jessup at san.rr.com
Tue Apr 22 17:37:27 PDT 2008

Tim wrote:

>I know that, we were with Verizon and still have about a year on our
>contract.  But the thing was, even at home I would be lucky if I got 2 bars,
>some places in Miami, the service would not be available at all.  We get
>hurricanes down here and local phone service goes down.  In 2006, after
>Wilma, Verizon service totally went out after about 2 days.  That left us
>with no phone service at all.

Interesting. Our whole family is considering switching from Sprint so
we can buy iPhones. I have spent some time investigating plans and
coverage. It does appear that in some areas of the country, the AT&T
coverage is better than other providers.

>Lastly, new and improved apps are going to be coming out for the iPhone.  It
>wasn't a horrendously high fee to cancel service with Verizon and our AT&T
>bill is actually cheaper as they charge extra for things like web access and
>email.  On the iPhone, it's free.

But what does that mean? Every user on your AT&T account pays $20 a
month for internet and email. That's not free, though it's not
prohibitively expensive. I can just say that my sister doesn't want
an iPhone and if she goes with us to AT&T, her phone will cost about
$10 a month (as an added user on our account), whereas the rest of us
will pay about $50. So that's not free.

>  So, in the long run, the savings with
>AT&T will make up for the charge of canceling service with Verizon.
>Just a few things to think about, hope this helps in the decision process.

I have another question, not from your post. Someone said that the
iPhone doesn't have a QWERTY "keyboard." Is that true? Yesterday I
was waiting in the local mall for a jewelry repair so wandered (of
course) to the Apple Store there. I played awhile with an iPod Touch
and was surprised and pleased to see that it had a QWERTY "keyboard"
I did not play with an iPhone. Is the iPhone's keybard different from
the iPod  Touch?

Daly