[X4U] Set up Parallels or Boot Camp

Christopher Collins maclist at analogdigital.com.au
Sat Apr 26 22:49:09 PDT 2008

Hi,

I use both Boot Camp and Parallels with my 17" Macbook Pro.

It really depends on what I am doing with Windows that decides which I
use?

If I just want an "XP Window" on the desktop, then I use Parallels.

If I have the time to reboot and don't want distractions, then I
reboot into XP from the Option key boot screen.

I have a 250GB (well 232GB really) HDD in my system so when I setup
the XP partition, I set it for 32GB. I will never use more than that.
And it stays the same size.

One of the advantages of having a boot camp partition is that if your
application is acting strangely under Parallels, then you can always
reboot into your Boot Camp partition and try to run it under there.
That would then eliminate the possibility that it is the underlying
hardware that is at fault.

I have found that this is the best way for me to run Windows XP on my
Macbook Pro!

cjc