[X4U] Is it possible to get APPLE's EMAIL app to retrieve mail from GMAIL (Google?)

Jeff Carruthers jeff at carruthers.com
Tue Aug 19 12:45:57 PDT 2008

On Aug 19, 2008, at 3:25 PM, Ed Gould wrote:

> I would like to be able to get Apples MAIL.APP to retrieve email
> from Google (GMAIL) is this possible?
>
> I have looked a little through help at Google and I am having no luck.
>
> Ed

Ed: yes it is possible. I receive and send google mail through Mail on
my Macs and iPhone.

Go to the Gmail Help Centre and look for the article on "Enabling
POP". The article tells you what to do on the Google side and on the
Apple Mail application side.

Note that Google requires a non-standard port (995) to be set under
the advanced tab in the preferences for the mail account for Google
and uses password authentication. It also allows SSL encryption and
this should be checked.

Here is a long link, in case you can't find the article:

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=13273&cbid=1bzp0ekwjznmj&src=cb&lev=answer

Good luck.

Jeff

Carruthers Communications                  Tel: 613-278-0390
678 2nd Concession N Sherbrooke     Cell: 613-720-2350
R.R. 1, McDonalds Corners, ON  K0G 1M0   Fax: 613-278-2929
www.carruthers.com                          e-mail: jeff at carruthers.com

"There's no such thing as a dumb question." (Anon)